Organization is a key element in article/review organization. This organization is achieved through the headings the writer uses to provide a framework for the reader.
The American Psychological Association has a set of 5 levels that they include in their framework: (The following graphic was shared in the APA Style Blog.)
Here are some points that you should realize about these headings:
- All of the levels are bolded except level 5
- Level 1 is the only level centered.
- Level 2 is the only level left justified.
- Levels 3 - 5 all end with periods.
- Levels 1 & 2 are the only levels that use Title Capitalization. Levels 3 - 5 use Sentence Capitalization.
- Levels 4 & 5 are indented.
Here is the beginning of a sample document using these headings. Click here to get to the rest of the document.